Thursday, October 4, 2012

Childish Cartoon Issues

Scene: The end of a long, lazy day and Branden and I are trying to get sleepy enough to go to bed. We decide to go with our tried and true method of watching cartoons which usually puts us out like lights. So we start scrolling through our Irish Netflix (don't even bother suggesting things for us to watch if you have the US version as the Irish version will most likely not have it and won't get it for another 5 years) and this is our conversation:

Branden: We could watch X Men again  (note: this is the cartoon that started in the early 90's)

Me: But it keeps giving you weird nightmares every time we watch it so we should find something else,  maybe something more 'little kid-ish' that's not scary.  *I scroll past Thomas the Tank Engine* Except for that! That would give me nightmares!  (note: I have an unexplainable fear of the faces of Thomas the Tank Engine characters)

Branden: There is Sonic the Hedgehog...

Me: Oh yeah, haven't you been wanting to watch that for a while?

Branden: Well, I'm not so sure now...

Me: Ok, well we can watch Berenstain Bears, or there's Blazing Dragons...I think I remember that one...

Branden: I wish they had Dexter's Laboratory!

Me: Me too! I loved that show! Sadly, they just don't have the cool stuff on here yet. *More scrolling and looking*

Branden: It's not that I don't want to watch Sonic...but I'm just nervous that since I loved it when I was 6, it might not be that great to me now. I don't want to ruin it.

Me: Well...do you remember much of it from when you were 6???

Branden: Not really but I just knew that I loved it. I guess we can watch it; now I'm kind of curious.

Me: You realize that we potentially just had the most immature conversation of our adult lives. You can't watch X Men because you get nightmares, I can't watch Thomas because it scares the crap out of me, we both want Dexter's Laboratory, and you're hesitant to watch Sonic because it's legendary in your mind!

*End scene with huge amounts of laughter followed by watching Sonic the Hedgehog...which was ok*

17 comments:

  1. So...no Phineas and Ferb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you wish you were kids again so you could innocently watch these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe, except we still do watch them but I suppose we could say it's research for our nephews ;)

      Delete
  3. Irish Netflix must suck. I wouldn't say your conversation was immature. I think it was Branden and Maggie Cute.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish Netflix has some good things, like lots of BBC nature programs, but as far as up to date, latest cool stuff, not so much. You are too sweet!

      Delete
  4. I find watching sport will send me to sleep.

    Netflix ?, we've got that ?. Really ?. What class of broadband would I need for that. I've 7meg in theory more like 3.5.

    What happened to Tom and Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When snooker season is around, I find it perfect for falling asleep! We aren't much into sport.

      Amazingly yes, Ireland has Netflix, but not surprising is that it is quite limited in it's selection. I find it enough to keep us entertained though. You have about twice the broadband speed we do so you would be fine! (My husband sometimes thinks if we had dial up, we'd be faster!)

      LOVE Tom and Jerry but sadly, Netflix doesn't have any of the classic cartoons that I adore...but we do watch them on Youtube sometimes (and actually watched Tom and Jerry last night!).

      Delete
    2. I thought UCC(actually) had their own node. NUI,G had one going back yonks. You should have speeds close to light.

      Oddly I don't find the Snooker too bad. I'm good for a frame or two. There is an outside chance I might play. The Tour De France is another since I cycle a bit.

      Delete
  5. We don't live in campus housing and our landlady is hanging onto DSL like it's going out of fashion (oh wait, too late!). The really frustrating thing is that we are right across the road from the big, new UCC science building so fibre optic internet is just within reach!!! With the digital switchover though, it sounds like she is finally going to get a UPC and Sky package deal so our days of watching Formula One (one of the few sports we do like) highlights won't take us twice as long on BBC iplayer due to all of the freezing up and loading issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidl has a free to air dish and decoder with all the fixin's. At about €70. I have all the BBC ITV1,2,3,4, CH4, CH5. Enough of them anyway that gives the clicker a good workout each evening. And free. And no big issue setting up the thing either. Simply drive a stake into the garden and attach the dish.

      Delete
  6. I was thinking X Men would be a great choice! Until I read your next sentence stating it's the cartoon from the 90's. O_o

    You two are so silly. It's like you were made for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally I recommend Spongebob Squarepants. He's surprisingly funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you need a bunch of movies perhaps I could persuade my SIL to burn some for you. Most of them are older now, but still good, especially if the pickings there are slim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know those cartoons you mention Maggie (I'm from a much older generation), but I used to enjoy Walt Disney's cartoons, and others of around that time - Road Runner, Flintstones, etc. Hope those cartoons had the desired effect for you - Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the Animaniacs toons back in the 90s....

    These days there's an adults toon here on this side of the Atlantic called Archer. A spy agency filled with dysfunctional people who inevitably wind up screaming at each other inside the first ten minutes. Definitely not for kids....

    ReplyDelete
  11. read a book! better than anything on tv anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Does this straitjacket make my butt look big?