Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Before and After

So as I posted yesterday, I got my hair cut. It was actually Branden's idea. His hair was getting a bit foofy and I was struggling to do something with my long, heavy locks. With both of us having a bad hair day, he thought it would be best to head to town and get our hair cut. I should make a note now, since I was asked in my comments and also by some friends and family on facebook about if I donated my hair. Locks of Love is not in Ireland and I haven't heard of anything like it over here. Plus, they want a minimum of 10 inches and I wasn't going that drastic. There has only been one time in my life that I ever cut that much hair off and thankfully I was living in the States so I did donate it.

Anyway, there were a couple of younger hair dressers at the salon, both girls, and when I said I wanted to cut my hair (not even saying how much) they both voiced objections...isn't this what they get paid to do??? I was almost put off as they told me how nice and long it was, but thankfully, I had just published a blog with a list of my frustrations over my 'nice and long' hair which I started telling them about. Plus I let them know that my hair grows back quickly so it would get long again soon. That apparently convinced them enough and one of them finally started cutting while the other seemed to quake with every snip. Branden was in the chair next to me, since the lady who usually cuts his hair came in during the time the girls were trying to talk me out of it, and his hair was done pretty quickly. As he was sitting on the couch waiting, he was looking a bit hesitant. One of the girls asked what he thought, and he gave an uncomfortable giggle and a ,"It's looking ok..."

At this point, I was feeling fantastic! The weight of it was so much better and it already was looking healthier and smoother. She finished up, took of that cape thing, and I thought it was great! Branden even agreed and so did the 2 girls! The girls were even saying how much it seemed to suit me and just how nice and healthy it looked.

When we walked home, it was quite windy and I didn't put my hair up...but I didn't need to! It was amazing to walk in the wind and not have a tangled bird's nest of hair that would take forever to brush though! Technically it's still "long" by most standards (not mine though) but I am quite enjoying it. My head feels fabulous and I oddly find that it makes me look more my age but also younger at the same time somehow. I have no clue how that works but it just seems to. I have played with it quite a bit and I can do all sorts of fun stuff now and I don't even have to use a bajillion bobby pins to hold the weight of it up!

I am very pleased and Branden is really loving it as well. Unfortunately he's off at work so I had to try and get a shot of my new do by myself which isn't the easiest with my short arms.

So here, for a reminder, was before:



And here's the best I could do for an after:

It's about 6 inches, give or take an inch. 

Now, since I was in my bathroom, taking photos of myself, I had to attempt to be stereotypical and do that duck face shot that all the 'sexy girls' like to post of themselves on facebook:


This leads me to a Tip of the Day: STOP DOING THIS FACE! IT'S NOT ATTRACTIVE AT ALL!!

I think the only thing I managed to accentuate in that shot was my nostrils...

27 comments:

  1. You look great! I'm toying with the idea of cutting mine off as well. Husband loves my long hair though, and is terrified that I'll go in and do a super short boy cut or something...not that I'm not tempted to do that some days. My hair's about as long as your "before" so I understand the annoyance of a billion bobby pins, ponytailers, duct tape, etc. Good for you! ...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! Luckily for me, even though Branden likes long hair, he still was willing to let me give it the chop! I think it was a combo of him knowing I wouldn't go too close to my shoulders, and he was tired of finding my hair in his stuff.

      Delete
  2. That's a fair amount of hair gone, and it looks good on you!

    Just as long as you don't get silly and do what I did and have it all taken off....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I think I'll stick with a hair dresser ;) Thanks William!

      Delete
  3. That looks great!

    We just got to see the 'action' photos from my daughter's last dance competition - it's amazing how many duck faces we saw, especially after adding bright red lipstick! We wondered how some of them were able to breathe. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I bet you saw a ton of duck photos if teenage girls were involved! hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I actually expected some sort of pixie cut, though I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd get the paper sack treatment if I ever came home to Branden with a pixie cut! Luckily that's not either of our preferences ;)

      Delete
  5. You STILL have more hair than I've ever had. You look gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fishducky! I don't think I've had hair above my shoulders since I was about 12.

      Delete
  6. My dear, I am a fan. Can't wait to talk to you next!! And no more duck faces! It only works if your a teenager...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gret! I can't wait to talk to you too! It's so nice to hear your voice every now and again :)

      Delete
  7. It looks fantastic!!! I'm glad the girls didn't talk you out of your haircut(how odd!)!

    My hair gets that heavy feeling when I don't have it cut for awhile. I hate that! My hair is so thick in the back that I have the hairdresser thin it out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was funny how they tried talking me out of it and then absolutely loved it afterwards...I'm pretty sure they were both younger than me ;)

      Delete
  8. I love it. That cracks me up that they were trying to talk you out of it. you sexy duck face person you. Wait, what? Um no, forget I brought that up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey gorgeous! You look fantastic, and I love the "duck" face! I cant even do that, although I can make other faces! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Angela! Next time I get to see you, we'll have to practice some good sexy duck faces ;) HAHAHA! (Bethany will be mortified!)

      Delete
  10. I too thought you were really going to go short. But I understand how "freeing" it feels. And really, isn't how you feel about it that counts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a round face so I have to keep my hair mostly long to keep me from looking like a squirrel with a mouthful of food! ;)

      Delete
  11. Think of the shampoo you'll save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to get used to not using so much first! lol

      Delete
  12. I am a fan of short hair on men and women. My hair has always been short and so has Jill's. I mean short Maggie, much shorter than yours, but I am not criticising yours. I guess you might say that the style for women and girls that I prefer might be called "Page boy" style? My daughter also has short hair and so had our sons. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of whatever length looks good on whoever. My best friend Chrissy is perfectly suited for short hair and so is my mom. They just don't look right with long hair. I'm guessing your wife and daughter both have features suited to short hair cuts. I think the Page boy style is really cute on a lot of women! I would just look like I had a pumpkin for a head ;)

      Delete
  13. Love, love, love it! That's about how long my hair is, and I'm thinking of going shorter. But then I'm always thinking that. I think it's some sort of psychosis.

    ReplyDelete

Does this straitjacket make my butt look big?