Before I start my post for today, I have to let you know that I am thankfully not coming down with anything and yesterday was just an odd, sleepy day. Branden was sleepy and so was one of our housemates, but thankfully they were both out of the house at work all day so I can rule out gas leak! I'm much more normal today and so is Branden, although we had a bit of a boost of energy in our house last night...
Way back in February, I mentioned eating dried caterpillars provided by our housemate from Botswana. You can refresh your memory HERE if you need to. Yesterday, he had a BBQ for a lot of his friends from church, a lot of them were also from Botswana, so he prepared his dried caterpillars by boiling them in water, frying them in oil and then adding some seasoning and chopped tomatoes to the pot. Branden said they were pretty good. I saw that they looked more like a real, mushy caterpillar and decided to not kill my eating experience for the rest of the BBQ.
It was such a fun night and by the time everyone left and we had cleared the kitchen up, our housemate was too exhausted to take care of his pot of remaining caterpillars that he had forgotten on the stovetop. Apparently this morning was a bit of a rush for him too, so when I went out to get my breakfast and coffee (at 10:30am) the pot remained next to the stove, still containing bloated caterpillars. A few hours later, our house cleaners showed up and by the time they hit the kitchen, they also hit the shock of their lives!
Since my bedroom is on the bottom floor, I can hear kitchen conversations pretty easily. So this is what I heard.
And another cleaner chiming in with, "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"
Now at first, I couldn't figure out what they were freaking out over. I have been living with someone who regularly eats caterpillars for 6 months now so my mind has oddly adapted well.
"That is so BBBBLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAA!!"
The lightbulb came on and I remembered the pot of caterpillars on the counter. Branden called me on his lunch break in the middle of all this and I tried to quietly giggle over their reactions.
"Are you Ok?"
"I've never seen something more disgusting in my life!" and then she called to another cleaner to come take a look where more shrieking continued.
Branden and I were both cracking up as he was still on the line and I was relaying their horrors. I will admit that I did have a slight concern that they would throw the caterpillars out and our housemate wouldn't have them for leftovers but then I figured they were too terrified to go near the pot so the 'food' would be safe.
Branden said, "You should go out and just pop one in your mouth in front of them!" but I shot the idea down with, "That would be hysterical and I would do it if they were dried, but since they are all plump and have been sitting out all night, I have no idea what kind of food poisoning nasties could come from those!"
I can't wait for our housemate to come home and I can tell him how he scarred the house cleaners for life!
The horrors of the house cleaners! And I'll just say "You're Welcome!" now for your appreciation in assisting your diets ;)