Monday, September 17, 2012

Thank goodness it's not "Survival of the Sanest"

Happy Monday! Maybe not happy for all of you who must work, but happy for me when I was brought a late breakfast in bed made up of eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee. The humidity is finally lower (in the 70% range) and paired with lower temperatures, in the high 50's F, I am one happy camper. I am still surviving Giant Spider Season with no new encounters to report (Wahoo!). And to answer Bodacious Boomer's question of how large these spider are, they are about the span of your palm with bodies about the size of wine corks. I know spiders definitely come bigger, but considering that I had never seen them that size in WA State where I grew up, I never thought I'd find them bigger here in Ireland...where I will be living for the rest of my life...with these giant nasties. I have actually been thinking about the future and possibly planning trips to Iceland around this time of the year, or maybe Greenland where it's colder and the spiders are sure to be smaller. Even though it's been better this year, I don't know if my nerves can handle this yearly terror as I begin panicking months in advance to this season.

Most of you know that I had been gearing up and training for a new volunteer project but as of yet, I have not spoke of it or how it's been going. (click the link if you don't know or remember what it was) There is a reason behind all this as I am held to confidentiality with the people I help, and also since we are with a large organization there are publicity restrictions as to me even publishing anything about my experience. I understand the reasons why and am fine with it, but for those of you wondering why I'm not talking about my volunteering, then that is why. The Monday night homeless run that I was involved with is currently on hold due to all of the members involved in the new thing, and we aren't sure it will come back. We do run into a number of our homeless people during the new thing so that is good as we keep up a relationship with them but we don't carry food on us. The new thing is going well and I've had some great moments and been able to help a lot of people. Our hours on the street are from 10pm-4am on Saturday night so my sleeping patterns have changed a bit and I'm also not around the Blogland as much because I think my mind is still new to processing all of the experiences and things we encounter. The great thing about this volunteer project is that it really has been keeping me sane through my latest depression as it's something I look forward to and feel comfortable and 'at home' doing. Plus, I love the other team members I work with and they are great fun and good banter.

I'm not sure how much of my latest depression has been "seasonal", as I did have a lot of other things piling up around me and stressing me out. They all sort of came to a head a couple of weeks ago, which put me into a bit of a mental meltdown, but I've been taking myself away from things and calming my nerves which has been helping. That, and I recently got off my allergy pill which gave me a 3 day long headache and caused me to look up if others had problems with it. I was shocked to find numerous reports of people having mood swings, heightened depression and anxiety, and bad reactions from trying to come off of it after long periods of consistent use. My personality has completely changed for the better since I've been off, which is really nice for Branden as I had a tendency to become homicidal if he did the slightest slip up (like 2 weeks ago when I was ready to strangle him for not allowing the bananas to defrost an extra 10 minutes, meaning he just had to blitz them a couple of minutes longer to get the consistency we needed, and then I felt so bad for feeling such rage over such a stupid thing that I went and cried in the bathroom for an hour). I did feel like I was losing my mind and had no control over my emotions, so this week has been such a change and I feel more like myself...and Branden's happy that I'm back to my normal self of constantly trying to snuggle up to him anytime he gets within a 10ft radius of me...except when he's trying to study. Thankfully he's a cuddle bug as well so it's been a good week  ;)

Ok, done with the serious and now for some funny and adorableness! I laughed so hard over this video and just had to share it for Music Monday! I can't stand this song but put a dog scratching his butt along to it, and I'll gladly listen!

15 comments:

  1. Loved the video, Good Deed Lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast in bed sounds good in practice, but...no, I don't need the crumbs in my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast in bed takes practice...I've been having it almost every morning for the past year and a half ;)

      Delete
  3. I was feeling a bit depressed lately too. I hope you're feeling better :) I'm finally starting to snap out of it--thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were going through it as well. I hope we are both through the woods and onto happier days :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you were suffering with depression, sorry to hear it love. I've been thinking about contacting the Salvation Army about helping in a soup kitchen but I need to pluck up the courage. And it's giant spider season in our house too, it's like being in the video game Doom with big frigging arachnids lolloping out from under things every two minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. I've struggled with depression on and off since I was 13 years old. I think the Salvation Army soup kitchen would be an amazing opportunity to help people, especially with the economy the way it is. You definitely should give them a call. Being some form of helping hand in the world does make the horrible stuff a bit easier to handle because you know you are at least doing your part and making a difference.
      I probably shouldn't have read your comment this late in the evening as now I will have a terrible nightmare of being stuck in Arachnid Doom! Thanks a lot! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm really jealous of your weather. It'll still be a couple of months before we get weather like that here. Glad you coming outta your funk. I'm in one now, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please send someone to bring me breakfast in bed. Then I would never have to get up, except for quick bathroom trips. I will not pee the bed. I will not pee the bed.

    Love,
    Janie, who will not pee the bed

    P.S. I love the dog video. Harper the smooth collie comes up to me tail end because he loves it when I scratch the back area just above his tail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast in bed, you lucky, lucky woman. I'm a little bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your depression Maggie. Its no joking matter. The Street Pastor organisation are doing good works. I hope you keep safe if you are doing that - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to be "catching up" on your posts. I totally understand the depression thing. It really does take a toll on everyday life. Glad to hear you are in better spirits. There is a brightness you bring to so many people's lives, you deserve to live with the same light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Depression hurts, as they say. I've been struggling with it awhile. It's something I'll have to live with the rest of my life, and what I'm dealing with at the moment, I'm getting help for. Slowly things are getting better.

    There's such a stigma to it that we don't want to talk about it, it seems.

    And as long as the spider's not the size of that Mordor spider....

    ReplyDelete

Does this straitjacket make my butt look big?